Sunday, December 23, 2012

'Tis The Season To Be Jolly

Oh, December! A time for snow, negative degrees, frost bites, hot chocolate, Hanukkah, Christmas movies and songs, decorating the tree, many celebrations and I mean many. And above all it means the first semester is over.

I can still remember all the months leading up to my departure. Leaving everyone and everything behind. I measure time by periods to look forward to upcoming events, such as the welcome party in September, Halloween in October, Thanksgiving in November and now Xmas and New Years Eve. Once those events arrive, it all flashes by and there I am a month later looking at the calendar thinking, "Holy shit! That was a month ago??"

People (Chinese and American) hold their breath with their hands on their heart when I say 2 years. But if you think about it, it's not that long. It actually goes by fast, especially if you measure time like I do. Now, I have a ton of stuff to look forward to in January and February. My traveling throughout China, in service training to see all of the volunteers and Thailand! Pretty sweet, eh? Vacation always zooms right past you, and then next thing you know, I'll be standing in front of the class for my second semester. That's already half a year gone by.

It has been challenging when many people asked me why I don't go home for Xmas. I just say, that it doesn't bother me because I don't celebrate it. I get really confused looks afterwards. Trying to explain that i'm Jewish is like getting your teeth pulled- they don't quite understand the concept of other religions. In the States, yea Xmas is all around even if you don't celebrate it, and basically all of my friends celebrate it and so do many of the guys I've dated. It never bothered me before, and I've actually joked around that i'm more Catholic than Jewish. In China, however, they automatically assume you are Catholic and many questions get asked. With all the Xmas celebrations, parties and music (courtesy of my site mate who is obsessed with it) I've grown fed up with the mentions of the "C" word. I've actually become-- Scrooge! (or Grinch, which ever analogy floats your boat). After a while though (and much venting) I took it for what it was- curiosity. So, I caved in and went along with it.


And so, I've spent this past month, organizing many activities and parties for Xmas and also attending parties at other volunteers' schools. China has actually made me do things I don't normally do, like sing! I just sang today in front a roomful of anxious students and my dean. Wasn't all that scary, although I noticed I was the only one with the mic actually on and signing, while the background students were swaying back and forth. Regardless, it's a great story now. I also ended up caroling with the English Club around the college for funds. First time I ever actually sang some of the Xmas songs, I felt very Catholic afterwards (Yay for integrating)


Anyway, for all of those wallowing at my absence from home in New York, I can assure you I'll be home before you know it! And in the meantime, here are some pictures to show you how my spirits have been high, despite the fact that I do get home sick.





     
                                          





No comments:

Post a Comment