Wednesday, October 3, 2012

National Day and Mid-Autumn Festival Vacation






I haven’t stopped moving (in the sense that my mental and physical state have been by far the most exercised it’s ever been) since the summer began, not once did I stand still. In April I finally got my official invitation and in June my friend threw a bomb that she was getting married in two months. June 29th was my departure (and my b-day) and June 24th was her wedding. So during May and June I was planning my friend’s wedding (and everything in between), trying to plan everything for China, figuring out how to get rid of my car that had another 2 year lease, quitting my full-time job, declining acceptance to Grad School, saying my good-byes to my best friends who I’ve known since 9th grade, the day after her wedding. After all that, there was 2 months of training that consisted of non- stop 9-5 language classes, TEFL training and host family time, moving to my permanent site , 2 days later starting to teach and continuing for a full month just like that. Now it is October and I can honestly say what my mind, body and soul were all thinking at once- I was to the point of exhaustion and a vacation was definitely needed to finally stand still and NOT THINK about a to-do-list.



Since there is a rule that for the first 3 months you cannot travel, I decided to do day trips around Lanzhou. After all, it is my home now so it made sense to explore and know my way around. During the weekend I mostly saw other volunteers just hanging out, going to bars, and seeing one of the volunteer perform with his band and just relax. My waiban (the man who is responsible for me) finally fixed my internet so I was able to set up my blog and post new pictures. Monday was a lazy day, Tuesday on the other hand was eventful. I wanted to start the day trips and so I decided to go to the White Pagoda Hill Park (Bai Tan Shan) which is directly North, across the yellow river and the Zhongshan Bridge. Luckily it was only 20 minutes from my home, so I hopped on the bus and in no time, there I was right in front of it. It was foggy, rainy and a gloomy day. I don’t mind these kinds of days because the weather is actually nice and cool, the pollution is less noticeable and it keeps away crowds of people, so I had the place for myself. What fascinated me the most was the architecture: overhanging eaves, red columns connected by pavilions and winding corridors that are detailed with paintings of flowers in blue, red, white, yellow, green and orange. The place spans to nearly 8000 square meters and is covered by pavilions, rest areas, sculptures, buildings designed for prayer rooms for Taoists and stairs leading to the peak of the mountain to see the White Pagoda. The stairs were in every direction imaginable, so it didn’t matter which path you took, it would still bring you to the top. It was cool just walking up and finding new pavilions and things to see, without a plan. I finally made it to the top, after having a horrible stomach ache and being completely out of shape and panting and breathing heavily as if I just ran a marathon. Little did I know they closed of the White Pagoda.
I went to the right of it and followed the path to find another Taoist prayer room. There were two monks switching their shifts to oversee the area and to talk to the visitors. One of the monks was signaling me to come speak to him, so I walked over there. He started speaking in Chinese and slowly raising his voice. He asked where I was from and so without thinking anything of it, I said “America, New York”. He starts raising his voice and all I heard was Obama’s name thrown into the yelling. The other monk started pushing him away and apologizing. I didn’t really know what to think about that situation, except that I took his willingness to talk to me as a sign of curiosity, and then that just turned into an ugly confrontation and all I thought afterwards was, “Aren’t monks supposed to be nice, or keep quiet?” I just walked away and finally got back down to the hill and sat for a while.
I was then approached by 4 students who wanted a picture with me. One moment you get yelled at for being American (at least that’s why I think the monk was yelling at me) and then you get treated like a celebrity. Talk about a bipolar day! They thanked me and ran off. I finally got up the courage to walk around some more, leaving the park and crossing the bridge. I bumped into the same 4 students and decided it was a good time to practice my Chinese, since these were students that didn’t attend my University or knew English. One girl in particular was just saying “Ting bu dong” (I don’t understand) every time I opened my mouth. Was my Chinese that bad? I mean her friends were able to understand me, so I didn’t get it. There was an awkward silence for a minute then she said, “You are so beautiful” with a mumbling of “ I love you” or “in- love with you”. Clearly she didn’t mean that, it’s just more Chinglish. I just didn’t know the exact translation. It finally clicked, maybe she was just speechless that she was even walking side by side with a foreigner that everything I was saying just went over her head and her response to everything was “Ting bu dong”. I couldn’t have possibly been that bad, I mean every person I talk to tells me for the short period of time I studied it, I’m pretty good.  We finally parted and I went to hang out with some awesome China 17’s to celebrate one of their bday’s. I got a text message from my site mate asking if I wanted to hang out tomorrow and go to Bai Tan Shan with some of the students. At that time I had no idea what it was or where it was, I just responded with an enthusiastic “sure”.
The next day (Wednesday) right before we were supposed to leave, I googled it and sure enough it was the White Pagoda. I was contemplating on skipping it since I already went there. She convinced me to go and we would do something else instead. Once we met up with the students we decided to go on the cable cars up to a different area of that same mountain. The view was breathtaking seeing the mountain in clear daylight and the sky scrapers, as well as going over what seemed to be a huge hole covered with plants and paths leading to the same side I was on yesterday. We decided to buy a one way ticket up and walk the rest down. I’m glad I went back and saw it again in a new light, literally I was actually able to see everything today as opposed to the fog. Sometimes you just have to visit the same place twice in order to appreciate its beauty. To end the night on a perfect note, I had pizza and a brownie with ice cream. To those of you who do not understand why this is such a big deal, here is the reason:  pizza + brownie = western food, therefore super expensive given the allowance a volunteer has. Every once in a while I’ll splurge, and today was no exception. With my stomach full and satisfied, I go off to bed to wake up early tomorrow and explore the 5 Spring Mountain. Who knew I was such a big fan of Mountains?



 

No comments:

Post a Comment